Finding the Right Mattress
- Construction: The most popular mattress types are innerspring, memory foam, and adjustable air. Each has pros and cons when it comes to durability and comfort customization.
- Firmness: Mattress firmness plays a huge role in the quality of your sleep. Some are too firm or too soft can cause aches and pains. It is recommended that you test a mattress for 10- to 15 minutes in-store before making a purchase.
- Sleeping position: Your mattress should match your sleeping style (side, back, face-down, etc.). You want a mattress that keeps your spine in proper alignment. For example, some are better for side sleepers, while others are better for back sleepers.
- Size: It is not quite as simple as choosing between a king and a queen mattress. You should also consider your height, as some are a better fit for shorter people while tall people will want a longer mattress so their limbs are not hanging over the edge of the bed.
- Stability: For couples, you should consider how the mattress reacts when one person moves, so the other person’s sleep isn’t disturbed in the middle of the night.